Artificial Continuum


Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Opening:

I remember a loooonnnnggg time ago (actually more like 2 years) I was browsing manga in a shop near my home when I came across the word BECK printed in the Tokyopop rack in front of my face. Of course being young(er) and ignorent, I scoffed at the name ad continued to browse. Well I'm writing this post to kick myself verbally for my late start reading this manga.

Plot:

Young Yukio Tanaka has become dissatisfied with his current situation. He has good friends and an okay life but it all seems boring to the 14-year-old boy. Things take a turn for the better after Yukio saves a rather odd dog from being tormented by a group of children. The dog's owner turns out to be Ryusuke Minami, a womanizing upstart musician with fierce guitar skills who just left his previous band. Yukio soon becomes enamoured with the guitar and takes a new interest in his life. Not too far after, Yukio becomes part of Ryusuke's new band which they name after his dog Beck (they do know that the band name has been taken for quite some time). The series focuses on their attempts to rise from obscurity and the many challenges and allies they make along the way. In particular, Yukio's romantic link with Ryusuke's sister, Maho.

Final:

I will not sugar-coat it, this series is EPIC. With over 30 volumes, it will take forever to read and cost alot to own. But it is completely worth it. The art is some of the most unique and refreshing I have ever seen. In crowds, every person has a face and a distinct style. You could say that everything drawn has a personality, especially the main characters. Everyone has a very well thought out backstory and appearance to match. The story itself has some ups and downs, but overall it's solid. The only real downside is not being able to hear the music (but thats what the anime/ soon to be released live action movie are for). Another interesting thing about BECK is it's reference to rock music around the world. Legends like the Beatles, Kurt Kobain, Jimi Hendrix, Bob Marley, and so on are being talked about constantly and songs, shirts, album covers of famous bands are shown in the various situations. Overall I find this series an interesting, believeable (to an extent) story of a band stepping up to be great.
Rock On!
~Lu-Kun

0 comments:

Followers