Artificial Continuum


Sunday, March 28, 2010
I don't want to drag out this post, so I will make it brief.

Okay - so Nick, Gormy, and I have been debating over which Halo is the best out of the three from the trilogy, namely, Halo: Combat Evolved, Halo 2, and Halo 3. I have played all three multiple times, and despite them being one of my least favorite shooter franchises (that's a whole 'nother story), they are fun run-and-gun games that can easily steal a weekend.

My favorite is Halo: Combat Evolved. I played all three in the order of which they were meant to be played (or at least released, who knows if they pulled a George Lucas on us) and my love remains reserved for the first game. Maybe it was the simplicity of the first game: a generic story, generic characters, generic guns; it just all felt good (Gormy, restrain yourself). I don't care if Halo 2 had a more interesting story or less "I've already f---ing been here!" moments than the first. And don't even get me started on the third game. Sure it had skulls and smoother mechanics; in my eyes, however, it just can't top the fun I had with the first.

Halo: Combat Evolved may have been overly simple and repetitive than the sequels, but it has a sort of charm, a nostalgia that brings back memories and feelings that just can't be recreated by its followers. Whether or not it is regarded as such in the rest of the world, I don't care. I think Halo: Combat Evolved is a classic that accomplishes much more than the rest of the trilogy.

And just for your enjoyment, Figure A depicts the worldwide accepted graph of goodness of the Halo Trilogy, shown chronologically by release date.


Figure A


Also, feel free to leave comments below as long as you agree with me.

0 comments:

Followers