Artificial Continuum


Monday, April 19, 2010
I recently picked up a book called The Name of the Wind after reading a news post at the ever beloved Penny Arcade. And so, I dove into the first and so far the only released book of The Kingkiller Chronicle not at all expecting what would await me within its numerous pages.


To put this frankly, I am in love. The story of The Name of the Wind solely tells the story of three men sitting in an inn. This is, of course, just a single layer of Patrick Rothfuss' delicious cake. The book uses a story within a story style, one that is not commonly used these days. The story within shows the life of the protagonist, Kvothe, from his living in an acting troupe to going to a school somewhat similar to Hogwarts (but not really at all now that I think about it).

Kvothe is an awesome guy, as is Bast, Abenthy, Simmon, Denna, and pretty much every other character in the story. The characters most definitely feel like real people, and are much more memorable than most I read about these days.

But overall, the thing that makes The Name of the Wind so special is the amazing writing. The words are near musical, and he easily keeps the reader greedily consuming his exquisite text. The Name of the Wind is one of the best books I've read in a long while. Do me a favor here. Go to the closest bookstore and find The Name of the Wind. Read the first chapter. If you haven't bought the book in the next five minutes then you can't read. I leave you with a particularly good paragraph from the book:

"I have stolen princesses back from sleeping barrow kings. I burned down the town of Trebon. I have spent the night with Felurian and left with both my sanity and my life. I was expelled from the University at a younger age than most people are allowed in. I tread paths by moonlight that others fear to speak of during day. I have talked to Gods, loved women, and written songs that make the minstrels weep.

You may have heard of me."


0 comments:

Blog Archive

Followers